Saturday, January 8, 2011

1/8/2011

Hi there!

Sally and I are at the library. We visited Tank this morning, but the nurse came in to help him with a shower, so we left for half an hour. Convenient! (The computer time is limited to half an hour.)

Such a fun visit! He greeted us warmly, and immediately asked for his phone. One never knows, with Tank. :) I'd programmed in his children's cell phone numbers, and Terry. I showed him how to use it, and he was surprisingly engaged and patient, and not frustrated (I kind of thought he'd be frustrated). He REALLY wanted to use it! I showed him the basics only, because I wanted it to be a positive experience (he has never had a cell phone). He called Kelly briefly, and then left a message for Peggy, who called back. He REALLY seemed to enjoy it. Actually, first he called Terry, and they chatted. Number is 801 792 5855. Maybe I'll change it later to a California number. He has voicemail, so feel free to leave a message if you call. :) Also, he might answer the phone "Gibbs." :) He finds that amusing (so do I), because Mark Harmon apparently answers the phone that way on NCIS. :) I'll encourage him to answer it "Tank." But, if you hear "Gibbs," please know that you're not talking to Mark Harmon.

He was so darling today, and so coherent, and less tired. It was interesting. I always wonder how much to include here, and I'm leaning toward including all of it (except personal-hygiene stuff) (when I'm a Bayside patient, I'd appreciate my blogger not including personal-hygiene stuff). He asked to go for a wheelchair ride, so we're going to do that when we return. We've never done that before with him. And tomorrow, he wants to go to KFC. :) He's been jonesing for KFC. He said the closest one is in Paso Robles, which is about 45 minutes from here, but he said he's up to it, and just needs help into the car. I'm game. We'll see. I don't know if Terry will want to go or not. Tank's ambitious. I mean, he seems to push himself a bit. He said that soon (while we're here, I think) he wants a trip to Monterey. :) I think that's 3 or 4 hours. We'll see what we can do. I think he's f****** sick of lying in that bed. We'll see what we can do. Maybe there are rules, or maybe the staff thinks it's not safe to let him loose with us.

Also, he wants to travel cross country. :) He wants to go to Utah with us for a visit. All of this surprised me and Sally. I guess he's feeling antsy. No talk of death today. He seemed a tired version of himself.

He encouraged Sally to sell her Hummel figures to improve her bottom line. I think it's unlikely she'll do that. :) He always has ideas for people, to make them happier. Sally brought up a childhood sub-for-Santa project (that I cannot remember), and Tank mentioned what a good heart Nola had. :)

The weather is perfect here. Maybe mid-50s and sunny.

We'll just play it by ear.

I think Tank has a chemo treatment on Monday. Terry invited us to go along (one at a time...there are only two chairs for visitors). It's at a doctor's office nearby, I think. Terry said it's a day-long IV treatment. Tank's arms looks beat up, as if he's had a lot of IVs lately. A lot of blood pooling near the surface, it seems. I don't know that it's dangerous. Also, Terry invited us to the house today, between 4:30 and 5. She's home cleaning, and getting help moving a TV into Tank's bedroom. Rich is helping her.

Tank said he doesn't have physical therapy on weekends. In fact, it's weird, because on weekends there seems to be no non-medical staff at Bayside. No receptionist. It's kind of dimly lit in the common areas. Plenty of helpful nurses, though. They're generally sweethearts. Tank's door sign used to say Rawlan Nelson, but now it says Rawlan "Tank" Nelson. That was oddly reassuring. Terry told us last night that they'd gotten his blood sugar under control, but didn't mention numbers. Told us to be careful with treats. We will be. He's eager for the chicken at KFC, and coleslaw, and biscuits with honey and butter. FYI.

I guess that's about it. Perhaps this is too much detail. But I know I'd want lots of detail, if I weren't here. When Peggy and Kelly visit, I'll want lots of detail. Tank has this way of holding his hands and arms up in front of him, as a way of saying, "Give me a minute...I'm gathering my thoughts." It's cute. He recognizes that he doesn't have the mental agility he once had, so he needs to do things differently. He said that. He can't hold several thoughts in his mind at once, so I think it's important not to interrupt him, and to give him time. "He has to concentrate harder," said Sally (just now, when I asked her about this). When he has a thought, he has to express it, 'cause it might not be there a few seconds later. Happily (so far), it doesn't drive him crazy, and he doesn't act hostile, or overly frustrated. I'm grateful for that. He's very dear.

Well, ya'll take care! We'll probably be back this afternoon or evening. Terry's bringing pea soup for lunch at 11:30, so we'll need to do our wheelchair excursion before that (I think). Love, Polly.

1 comment:

  1. He was so damn cute on the phone! He sounded tired but well. I just adore him :) I can't wait to see him next week, it's going to be wonderful. Mike and I are both very excited. I am so glad that you guys are there. I think it helps a lot to have us around. Thanks for all the updates!

    ReplyDelete